Wednesday, January 25
link


Below Zero
"We are at a feast which doesn't love us. At last the feast sheds its mask and shows itself for what it really is: a switchyard, cold colossi sit on rails in the mist. A piece of chalk has scribbled on the freight car doors.

It mustn't be said, but there is much suppressed violence here. That's why the features are so heavy. And why it's so hard to see that other thing which also exists: a mirrored glare of sun which moves across the house wall and glides through the unknowing forest of flickering faces, a Bible text never written down: "Come to me, for I am laden with contradictions like you yourself."

Tomorrow I'm working in another city. I whizz there through the morning hour which is a blue-black cylinder. Orion hovers above the frozen ground. Children stand in a silent crowd, waiting for the school bus, children for whom no one prays. The light grows slowly like our hair."
 - Tomas Tranströmer
The Blue House
translated by Göran Malmqvist









  • ". . . as I have said often enough, I write for myself in multiplicate,
    a not unfamiliar phenomenon on the horizon of shimmering deserts."
    - Vladimir Nabokov